Thursday, August 31, 2006

Loreena McKennitt



Some writers listen to music while the muse is at work...while others say they have to have total silence. I'm not a total silence kind of girl. I like to listen to music while my fingers fly over the keyboard, and depending on my mood or my story I go from artist to artist, album to album.

But one of the top artists that I always listen to while writing, no matter what story I'm writing...it could be a romance paranormal fantasy like Twilight's Kiss...or a Historical Pirate Romance like I'll Be Yours, and I'll still listen to Loreena McKennitt. She has a haunting voice that touches the soul...and always puts me in a creative mood. I still remember dancing to her music when I took dance in highschool, she and Enya were my dance teachers top two artists.
And, if you're a fan of Highlander the Series, you'll remember her music on there. :)

Loreena also happens to be Canadian born...just like me. She still lives in Canada in between her hectic touring schedule. So, take a moment, and check out her music...you won't be disappointed. :)

~Marly

5 comments:

Emma Sanders said...

I don't listen to music much when I'm writing, but I've been thinking I need to lately, just something to kickstart the muse. I've been searching for just the right thing. You're right, I listented to a sample of Loreena McKennit and wasn't disappointed. Thanks for sharing!

Lora Darling said...

Oh it is beautiful haunting music!! Very inspiring :)

Marly Mathews said...

Emma,

You won't be disappointed when you get Loreena's music to write by...she just has a way of getting the creative juices flowing. :)

Lora,

I'm glad you liked it.

Louisa,

Sounds as if you like Loreena McKennitt just as much as my sister, mom and I do. Her voice and music just touch the soul. The Mummer's Dance Remix might suit your edgy paranormals...or Dante's Prayer and some of her other songs might as well. Whatever suits the mood and story!

~Marly

Anonymous said...

I love her stuff, and you're right, it 'goes' with a lot of different genres.

Carol Ann said...

I used to think I enjoyed the quiet, but found what keeps me at the keyboard is listening to the nature sounds, either real (like when camping or late at night with the window open) or the sound tracks found in many book stores.